Sunday 26 August 2007

back to work over a week - need another break!

Alice and Alice
Just struck me as funny

I tried to post over the last couple of days but have been hindered by a technical hitch. For some reason best known to itself, the anti virus part of my PC defence system decided it would have a strop. Once a month or so I do a complete scan of my PC courtesy of Microsoft, It's a free service they provide if you want further info just leave a comment and I will send you the link. Well, this service checks out the things that my normal PC guard should check. I reckon my PC Guard got jealous went into a strop and decided not to play with me if I was going to play with the big boys - it took it's ball home and wouldn't let me play.

Anyway it's all now sorted and I am safely back on line. In a minute or two Podga's latest missive will appear and an interesting link from HR.

I have been back to work for over a week now and it feels like I was never away in the first place. Frighteningly it is only four years (less a couple of days) to my intended retirement from full time work. I really don't feel like nearly an OAP, maybe I'm one of the immature ones!!!

Sun is shining and Ches and Al will be over later for Al to prepare Sunday lunch for us all. Yes I know, I'm a slave driver but the football is on so I'm afraid if they want to eat then she will have to get into that kitchen!

Without further ado I will hand over to Podga whilst I have a think about what photo to put on top of this post. "Suffolk Sojourn 16 of 134. Greetings from East Anglia. Got back from 2 weeks of tranquility on the river this w/e and have finally caught up with emails/admin etc and trawled your adventures. What a hectic weeks' leave you enjoyed! Glad you could use/post the photos' from Upwood, ref the Polaroid of us with the zobbit kid - Leon took it. I note you are saving the Groucho/Harpo for later - you tease! What a star Al is - the surprise party for Ches looked brilliant, and full marks to her for sorting it out from start to finish. Be positive Ches - it'll happen. A coupla points - My veg growing prowess is renowned - maybe you've forgotten when I took you up to my allotment at Boscombe and we plucked Sunday lunch from the earth (except the beef and the lemon treacle sponge!) A good weekend surely? Ref the Turners' in Wishbone Ash - my mistake - not actually brothers, and no record of a Glen Turner by the way. Are you you thinking of Glenn Cornick (Tull, Wild Turkey)? Anyway - on my own tonight - Bil in London on a course for 2 days, and as I write, at the Troubadour on the Brompton Rd with a bunch of her old mates from FANY - Bunfight! FANY? Look at the website/let me explain - have you got half an hour? Glad all is well - I aim to be 1000th visitor - till then - love to all. Blue Skies - CT"

Just a quick response to Podga - rest of you can make a cuppa if you are bored with the reminiscing. The only bit I remember about the weekend in question is starting in a bar - I don't recall leaving it - and then interviewing some locals on a tape recorder that seemed to appear from nowhere. I believe we claimed to be from the local radio station. I don't remember getting home or your obviously wonderful hand reared veg. Did we do the "interview" on the way to your allotment? That would explain how I suddenly found myself in the countryside rather than in a bar!! Maybe this is one of the many incidents in my life which has persuaded my to give up the alcohol intake!!!!
According to my copy of "Rock Record" edited by Terry Hounsome and Tim Chambre (1979 version) Glen Turner is listed under Wishbone, although he never appeared on an album. As the aforementioned "Rock Record" was compiled and updated by fans I would guess that Glen had something to do with the band somewhere along the way - which is why I guessed at him being a brother. As a matter of interest I think "Rock Record" is now online. Try Terry Hounsome or rock record on google. I'm sure I did it some time ago and got a result. My claim to fame is the "Styx" part of the publication, back in the days before I converted vinyl to CD. As for B and FANY - not sure I should go down that road in a family blog!! Groucho and Harpo kept in reserve, unless, of course, anyone wants to have a look - just leave a comment.

Now over to my Red Army man. HR posted a link to the reenactment website. I had a look, didn't realise there were so much interest. Will have a deeper look later but for now over to HR " http://www.military-odyssey.fsnet.co.uk/lh/groups.html
Hi Paul, just a quick one to put into perspective the variety of living-history groups in UK ; not to mention Russia, USA , Sweden etc.
I will do a more general email for the blog later on ( I am out at shooting-club a meeting in Shepton Mallet tonight). I realised that I have not really greeted the remainder of the bods on the blog!
"
For info of all if you want to make a comment just click the comment link below. Put yourself in as anonymous but put yourself in the comment so I know who it comes from. I will then simply put the comment into my next post so those that don't click on comment themselves get the full benefit of your worldly wisdom!

As I type this I have still not decide which photo to put up at the top, so this will be an example of time travel for you as you know what is going to happen before I do!! Look after yourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul and Val and family. Hope you all are well and that your Sunday lunch was good. Football played a part in my weekend as well because I managed to get tickets to the arsenal on Saturday for me my wife and my father in law who is visiting us from Sweden...... Fantastic day as we won of course but also the first time for us in the new Emirates Stadium. Wow 62100 people there and was brill.
Now for some good but also sad news. Remember when I was on about Barry Wilkinson etc well low and behold he appeared on Friends Re-united web site (forces section), so I contacted him. I now have his own mail address so we can do exchanges without the Friends re united bit. Anyway he has just celebrated 34 years of marriage to Eileen has kids and grand kids. Took redundency? and is now out of the mob and living in Gloucester. He remembers you from Upwood and Innsworth and has asked me to say hi and pass on his regards. The sad bit is that he told me Colin McQuiston died 3 years ago. He was an alcoholic, like his brother and father, and he had a fall hitting his head and died from the injuries. He was divorced from Wendy and had children but was working as a civvie at Innsworth after he came out of the mob. Very sad.
On a lighter note I cannot believe that Mr Rotavator has gone all Alan Titchmarsh re his vegatable prowess, although maybe he practised his " Up Up and Hold " on his rhubarb and carrots... Personally I think he nips to Stowmarket Tescos buys the veg takes the labels off and declares them his own....... What do you think?

Also I must check this Wishbone Ash thing as there appears to be a glut of Turners playing in the band. I did meet one guitarist who is/was playing with them. His name is Laurie Wisefield and I met him in the early eighties as went out with a sister of a girl I used to work with in the studios in London. Nice guy. He went on to support Tina Turner on tour but have heard nothing since.
Must end now as Father in Law wants his din dins so best wishes and will scribe soon...... Leon