Monday 19 November 2007

Benevolent employer or wot?

It is with great pleasure that I am able to inform you that my financial advisor has joined the ranks of correspondents associated with this blog. I have been trying to work out a colour appropriate for him. As I am running out of them I have decided purple, as his investments always seem to hit a purple patch. I introduce to you ex founder member of the Scroat Busters Investment Club and ex Civil Servant of some standing - well I may be getting a bit carried away here. Anyway over to Pete.

"It is with great regret that I took your bait and left a lengthy dissertation ref. comment on your blog only to find that it would not accept anything over 300 CHARACTERS and not WORDS as I had interpreted it !!!!! This is no good to ME-I can use 300 characters in one sentence!!!!! Hence, my reply to your impertinence is thus:-
Minimum wage entitlement has already been discussed with my over-age YTS trainee whose main secretarial duties involve 1) answering the phone (as she is becoming increasingly deaf incorrect information is often forwarded to me) 2)making the tea (which I demand is brought to me in my study and has been received lukewarm on more than one occasion of late due to my employee's inability to climb the stairs as quickly as she used to do-a rather lame excuse, I feel).
In order to prevent standards deteriorating further, I had to take disciplinary action only recently which involved confiscating her pension book and forbidding her to cuddle the cat. I know what you're thinking -I've been far too lenient, but I'm glad to report that standards have begun to improve. You 'll also be reassured to know that as her performance of the said tasks is still not good enough to warrant a minimum wage, she has requested that she be employed in a voluntary and vocational capacity thus taking the stress out of the situation in attempting to achieve the required standard whilst realising that said penalties are still applicable if productivity levels fall again.
Although this is not an entirely satisfactory outcome for ME, I would like readers of your BLOG to know that, contrary to impressions given to them by you, I am, in fact, a most benevolent employer as my actions above show, I'm sure they'll agree???!!! I might add finally that I have reassured my ageing employee that while she works in a voluntary capacity, greater disciplinary action (the renting out of her room) will be most unlikely!!! Not even you, Paul, could doubt the generosity of this action!!!??? I must admit it has given me a rather good feeling too!!! You must take some credit, I feel, as it was you who encouraged me to be good to the workers!!!
Regards,
All @ Binney Towers."


Well I have certainly learnt something today, they do say that you should learn one new thing each day. Must be a wonderful day today as I have learnt two things today - but more on the second one later. I didn't know that you could only use 300 characters in a comment.

I have to apologise to Pete as I didn't realise what a wonderful employer he is. I must admit that when I have left messages for him his secretary has been a little familiar. Speaking as though we were equals!! I now understand his frustrations. She expects to gain advantages just because she is his mum, just not fair on the poor old guy.

Now on to the second thing I have learnt. You know Val has been busy on the hall and has all but stripped all the paper off. When she spoke to the guys about an estimate she was talking about having the ceilings sorted with board. All I said tonight was that it may be a bit expensive and why don't we just paint or take the paper off and have it skimmed the same as the walls. She said something about nearly finished , gave me a dirty look and has since not really spoken to me other than when absolutely necessary. She is down taking the paint off wood in the downstairs closet as I type. I think I have put my foot in it again!! I am not sure I will ever understand this particular female in particular or any other one in general!!

I will update you later - if I am still breathing!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suffolk Sojourn 28 of 137.

It's only me - From over the sea - Barnacle Bill the Sailor!

So - more contributions to the Blog - Hurrah. Nice one Clare, and nice to see the newly arrived Foal - have a name yet I wonder? Looks perfect out there - as East Anglia cuts itself from the rest of UK, thriving Blue Tongue, and now Bird Flu. More exclusion zones than Iraq. Fish Fingers for Christmas I'll be bound.

As for PB of the SBIC (Rtd. Hurt) - I thought HR banged on a bit, but this takes the biscuit. I've got 1,000 shares in Northern Rock - is he interested? Is Binney Towers due for demolition? Don't forget your PA Pete - she's on the top floor watching your Earl Grey brew.

The final photo of the Iranian Hostage trilogy been sent to you Paulie. Editors' decision of course re transmission - but be warned readers: the Girlie is finally revealed, and the print can be labelled as topless. Don't log on till after the Watershed.

Tractor Boys and Pilgrims back in action this w/e - how will things look by Tue 29 Jan when we host you at Portman Road. I'll be there and will send the programme.

If you're out tonight - on your bike - don't forget - Wear White.

Blue Skies !!??!!!**?