Sunday 14 October 2007

Changed my mind

Well Hi there France. Hope all is well at your end. You and Estonia can have a pint on us OK lads?

Went into PC World yesterday with Al and surprised and shocked at the prices. Laptop and a wireless/Ethernet system were the targets. Think I will settle for the PC I have and a wife that is into 19th century comms. I can always pass on a message - far cheaper!!!

I reckon we will just replace the LCD telly, ours appears to have aquired a shadow. Val wants to give to to Al but I think it's a bit too big, may end up in our bedroom, then I really won't care if the soccer clashes with Coronation Dale Enders whatsit.

HR has decided that blog communication is beyond him - what is your job actually HR? Hmm.

I get these e-mails from him and he has said I can share with you all. You will now get to see the qualiyu of e-mails I have to put up with!!!! Only problem is that I can't remember what colour is Bob's. Not Brown, not blue and not orange. Might have been red for the Russian Army. Have to point out that he was going on about shooting innocent creatures in his last one to us. Pointed out that we were in the Hunt Sabateurs whilst at Chivenor and were passing his details on to ALF. May help you make a bit of sense of what follows - not much though but hopefully you'll pick up the thread as we go along! Hopefully HR will read this and introduce the characters mentioned at some point in the future. Meanwhile try and work out who is who!!
"Hiya Paul, thanks for the email and veiled threats !
Who hunts whippets anyhow ? !
The last animals I shot at walked off in disgust (cos I missed) then (when I removed the sight to mount on another rifle) the Squirrel came back and flaunted itself knowing my gun was sight-less ! The furry ,buck-toothed American descendant little (rodent!).....
It hasn`t learnt about "moderators" yet ! They are civilian name for what we know as a "silencer"......(insert evil laugh at this point which I am unable to turn into letterz!).
Wots all this about the females "ripping off the walls"? Are they ,making cheap copies or just fleecing them for extra cash? !!
I have paid attention to the round ball (used to call it "Kick-ball" when I was a kid) . That expression would upset the experts now that its is an industry ! or is that a "science"... oh well just run as far forwards as you can, and pretend to be fouled....then ... roll on floor clutching right shin (always the right one ) then get a fee kick ! Mincers !! There used to be charismatic players like Georgie Best and Bobby Moore.
Now there are long-haired shirt grabbers ( "Non contact sport ...? I know nothing Herr Refereee !!..Senor .... Iss big mistake ... I no touch him.... his leg jus brake.... honist!).
But enough of sport ... your honour..
My friends Nisse and Sussi went on to London yesterday after a short but wonderful visit.
I have not seen them since 1993 and they have since married and had twins. Nisse teaches the local childrens football team so is a fellow "kindred spirit" to you Paul.
I have been on tenter hooks hoping it would all go well and we had excellent weather and the trips out went well.
This morning I went to Surrey and collected my .22 rifle ( and the bunnz will be pleased to know that when I fitted a telescopic sight and on instinct decided to "boresight" the rifle (look down barrel from breech end and point it at something......Next look through sight and see if they agree.
Da Bunz will be happy to know that with elevation adjustment fully "UP" the sight still insisted on looking at the grass in front of the "water baby" birdbath (birdz ?....they never throw away their empty shower gel ! Bloody pidgeons !) .
The barrel meanwhile was silently lined up with its elbow !
It might have worked well at 200 mtrs but not at any other range below that !!
So have refitted the open sight and will work with that until I decide whether to give in and shim the telescopic sight!
In the morning at 0630 I am off to Christchurch (no not shooting chorists!) near Bournmouth ( no not shooting tourists!) where CGC are having an open day .
I have my membership interview , then , when they accept me , I shall be cleared to zero the Hornet and the .22 LR if I am lucky; and later we are having a 2nd Guards shooting competition with the 7.62mm Mosin Nagant rifle ( a mans rifle ! Although women did use them , and the anti-tank rifles too !).
So busy busy.
Phils girlfriend produced a baby girl called Freya , Leigh. and all is well. They went to Glasgow today to see her Dad.
He was in 16 AD Regt in NI when I was in it in 1976 ; and sadly was near Buff Miller when he was killed.
From my point of view I can understand very well how Val feels because these memories come up out of nowhere.
The bond between mum and son is the strongest I know of and never fades.Maybe letting go takes a lifetime?
Please give her my love and tell her that i am thinking of her.
I know that counts for sod all in the life of a mum who has lost someone she bore, but its as sincere and genuine as I can make it I promise.
Gail is never far from my thoughts.
The tiling was given the seal of approval by Nisse and so was the "this is where I keep my tools " area. He looked at it and smiled at the mess; I spotted the look of recognition and asked if he had the sma (mess) at home: "yeees" he said... and the smile that Sussi gave him confirmed he was telling the truth !!
As for the loo... its ace and Lee christened it by throwing up in it later the night it was installed !
He had a tummy bug your honour!
Please feel free to edit this and use any of it you wish; I amno good at getting things on the blog so I stick to emails.
Lees band QuarterBlind have an album being released in november... it is available for pre-booking thorugh Amazon now.
Its heavy metal !
I had better dash cos I have to have a bath then get some sleep.
I hope I don`t lie awake like I did last night... designing "moderators" in my mind !!!

have fun and be good.
Lets hope we beat the French.
"

See what I mean! At least we beat the French (and the Estonians). Ah well, bye for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suffolk Sojourn 24 of 137.
Hells Bells HR! - I had to clock overtime to get through your communique. And still no mention of the next gig with the Gibson Flying V Balelaika.

You mentioned Chivenor Paulie - remember that time the trials team I was with at the time (Jun 85) flew down to you there and we spent a week jumping from high altitude onto Saunton Sands? (During some precious time off Val, you and I walked down a railway line (?) for an evening scoff at a Bernie).

Anyway, we did a lot of early morning stuff before the Sqn Hawks fired up. Buddy Jim and I found ourselves at 25,000' on a beautiful but cold Devon morning - 0615, and about 21 miles upwind of Chivenor. Luckily the C130 Nav. had got his calcs well plotted - for me anyway. I arrived 31 minutes later on the beach but Jim was 3 miles short.

He landed on the airfield, (with O2, full bergen eqpt including weapon) smack in front of the Hawk line up - 10 minutes after the TACEVAL siren had sounded off. He was immediately surrounded and captured by an enthusiastic bunch of young Rambo's who couldn't believe that the exercises were getting realistic at last. A coincidence, but it took us 3 hours to find him then get him out of the guardroom. Good times.

Barry and Derek - are you out there?

Hope Val is on the mend, and love to Chesch and Alice.

Blue Skies - CT