Saturday 24 May 2008

HR's bits





"I went to an event at Belvoir Castle near Grantham at the weekend and my team won the "Maxim Gun" race on both days ! for a combined age of 151 thats not bad is it !
We had to go over an obstacle course then strip the maxim (72kg) and carry it back across the course then assemble, drag back to start and dry-fire it. I had the main gun once it was off the "trolley" and scrambled under the "plastic" barbed wire with it under my arms; closely followed by the other two with the ammo box , armoured shield and trolley!
When I approached one of the team early on saturday morning and asked if he and the other new chap could come over and we would all be taught to strip the gun ,prior to racing with it ,he said " you can`t say that to a 50 year old!" so I just replied " You can if your 54!"
It was a great weekend and I avoided the vodka on saturday night ! meanwhile at home I am now in possession of all the bits required to modify my rifles and am happily refreshing my engineering skills as an ex Instrument Technician. I have an ex-SS telescopic sight to strip and then remove the mounting-rings.They are soldered in place so it will require carefully aplied heat. Then later on I have to drill and tap holes in the rifles, to accept the sight mounts !
It scared me at first, but basic principles will see me through.
I am really enjoying it and testing them on the range will be the icing on the cake.
Glad to hear all is well at your end; that hallway looks ace.
All the best xxx"

Thought I would let HR have his own post today. The last picture of him and his lads, they aren't wearing iniforms!
Thought you may be fed up with my tales of woe about how technical items appear to be picking on me, so thoug a little bit of normality would do you all a bit of good. Couldn't find any normality amongst our group of friends so thought let HR have his 15 minutes of fame!!
Championship playoffs in a 45 minutes so I am off in a sec. You all look after yourselves and keep the comments coming!

No comments: